Thursday, November 14, 2013

Choosing Fruits

Fruit is best in season and the bonus is they are also less expensive in season.  My friend Andrea asked me to add a note to the blog about what's in season when.  This list is based on my personal experience living in Northern Utah. It may vary where you live. I am also not addressing the organic issue much here, just availability.

Coconuts:  I don't know if they have a season but I can get the freshest, least expensive coconuts in the January to June months.
 When you choose a fresh coconut, the heavier the better.  As they age there is less coconut water in them so shake it good and if it's heavy and not too much sloshing (because it's really full) it's a good bet it's going to be a good one.   I'll buy coconuts anytime they are less than $2 each.

Kiwi:  I've had the best luck in the winter months for kiwi as well.  They usually go on sale where I shop in the late winter time.  I buy them by the bag and the kids snack on them and take them for lunches.  We feast while we can get them.

Pomegranites:  These are a Christmas fruit.  They start showing up mid-November through early January.  I like to try to pay no more than $1.50 each.  They are a great snack (de-seed them in a large bowl of water to contain the tiny sprays that leave a purple stain on everything) and they are great in spinach salads or in fruit salads.

Cranberries:  Also mid-November to January.  Fresh cranberries can be frozen and used through out the year.  I have an orange cranberry bread recipe I use them in (will post later) as well as making my own cranberry sauce (watch for the recipe) when we have turkey or chicken.  I like to stock up during the season so I have them on hand the rest of the year.

Apples:  These are a fall crop that is stored to sell the rest of the year. They are also on the dirty dozen list every year, usually very near the top.  As I researched the reasons for this I found that post picking, apples are often sprayed with a preservative, an herbicide and then waxed.  For this reason I try for organic apples or local fruit stand apples which will keep in the fridge for several months.

Pineapple: There seems to be fairly good pineapple year round, I just watch for prices under $3.  If the center leaves pull out easily it's ripe, very yellow is ripest and often sweetest.  Watch for soft spots near the bottom as the inside will be brown. Great snack, lunch treat and in salads.  See my barley pineapple salad recipe for a great fresh salad.

Oranges: These are also a winter fruit.  They are least expensive starting in December and going through the early winter months.  I'm sure that's why children used to get a Christmas orange in their stocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment