Monday, May 28, 2012

Pineapple Barley Salad - So Yummy!

My sweet husband was flipping through the channels late one night and stopped on a BYU cooking show with Chef Brad. The next morning I wasn't sure if the salad actually looked good or it it was the late hour but I decided to try it.  It's a really pretty, fresh salad.  No photo because it was an experiment. I'll update with a photo when I make it next.

Pineapple Barley Salad

1 c. cooked barley
1 fresh pineapple
6 fresh strawberries, sliced
1 apple, diced
1 small handful mint leaves
1/8 c. apple cider vinegar
1-2 frozen or canned peaches
1 T. agave nectar (I know, I never use this and it's popped up on 2 recipes lately. I had it so it was easy)
1 T. olive oil

Cook barley and rinse with water to cool.  Cut pineapple into bite size chunks, add sliced strawberries and diced apple and toss.  Remove stems and finely chop mint leaves and add to pineapple mixture.

Peach vinegar - I didn't know what this was and didn't have any so I took a couple frozen peaches, thawed them and poured 1/8 c. cider vinegar over the top and let it sit for half an hour.  Then I strained off the vinegar to use for the salad.

Pour vinegar, agave and oil over pineapple mixture and toss well.  Add cooked barley and toss again.

I took it to a family party last night and it was a big hit.  The first bite each of us took we thought, "This is good. " By the 3rd of 4th bite we were all saying, "This is SO yummy!"
Enjoy!!
UPDATE:  Made this again when strawberries were out of season so I used frozen raspberries instead.  Still yummy.
Here is Chef Brad's version.



No comments:

Post a Comment