Monday, February 23, 2015

Seasoned Popcorn - Oh My!

I adore barbecue potato chips, but potato chips are yikes, scary to eat.  But oh the barbecue, mmmmm....  The other day I bought smoked paprika for the first time and it gave me crazy ideas.
 We have a family friend who makes garlic pepper popcorn that we love and copy at home, what if I could make barbecue flavored popcorn?  All the yummy barbecue flavor without the yuckiness of potato chips.  Voila!  Here it is.  In addition I've gathered a recipe on making the perfect butter flavored popcorn that isn't soggy, a ranch flavored popcorn that is my husbands favorite and I'll add the garlic pepper corn just for fun.

Here is a quick how to on stove top popped corn.  But don't actually pop it until you mix your seasoning together, then set it aside and shake your popcorn.


I have a stainless steel whirly pop on my Amazon wish list, but while I'm saving up I use a large pan with a lid.

2 Tbl coconut oil
1/2 c. non-gmo popcorn kernels (which jiffy pop now markets at most grocery stores. halla)
1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt (or other sea salt)

Put coconut oil, salt and kernels in a large pan with lid or more fun, a whirly pop. Heat on medium heat shaking occasionally. Once popcorn starts to pop it needs continuous movement so twirl your whirly pop or shake your pan baby.  Move it til the popping starts to slow and then turn off heat.  Leave on stove til popping stops.

Immediately pour into large bowl (or my favorite, into a large paper bag) Sprinkle seasoning and stir to combine (or in a bag, shake it, shake it, shake it) Enjoy!


Barbecue Flavoring

1 1/4 tsp smoked sweet paprika (sometimes labeled as smoked dulce paprika)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Ranch Flavoring

1/3 c. nutritional yeast
2 Tbl dried parsley
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt

Garlic Pepper Flavoring
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp dried parsley

Buttery Popcorn
This idea is not my genius, but I can't find the blog I learned it from to give her credit.  Apologies!

Put coconut oil in pan with 2 popcorn kernels and 1/2 tsp pink himalayn salt
When kernels pop add 1/2 cup popcorn kernels and 1/4 c. butter

Pop as normal and enjoy butter, salty, perfect popcorn!

No comments:

Post a Comment