Friday, November 15, 2013

Name Them Different

Cookies are my favorite baked good.  I doubt that's a surprise if you've looked at the recipe categories.  They are just easy, it's a dessert in serving size and they are an easy conversion for me.  But, one thing I've learned over the years of converting recipes and altering ingredients.  Sometimes it doesn't come out tasting exactly like the original, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.  
The problem comes when you make whole wheat, coconut oil snickerdoodles and tell your children they are snickerdoodles.  When they don't taste exactly like snickerdoodles everyone is disappointed and they miss the fact that these cookies are good in their own right.  The solution is to name them different.  I recently was working on altering a snickerdoodle recipe, and having learned this lesson many times over, I remembered to call them something else.  When they kids bounded in after school asking what kind of cookies I smiled and said, "Just some cinnamon ones."  They ate them, and even liked them.  
Today is a snowing day outside and I asked our 19 year old daughter what I should bake.  She said, "Make those cinnamon cookies, they were good."  So I laughed and told her I was glad they were good even though they didn't come out the same as what I was trying for.  She thought for a minute and said, "Snickerdoodles?"  "Yes."  She smiled and said, "They didn't taste like snickerdoodles, but they were good."  Voila!!  If you healthi-fy a recipe, give it a new name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment