Thursday, November 14, 2013

Hotdogs and the ICK Factor

Hot dogs have never been my favorite thing to eat, but my family really likes them.  I can take a half a hot dog smothered in sauerkraut, dill pickles, mustard and ketchup, but they've never been a food of choice. I've always known they were gross. I remember people saying 'If you saw how they make hot dogs, you'd never eat another one."  I just ignored them and gagged the hotdogs down when I fed them to our family.  Sometimes those things come back to bite you and this might be that kind of time.


In the past couple years I've learned about nitrates, which have been linked to cancer, in processed meat. We stopped eating processed meat but then I heard about nitrate free hotdogs and we were back to the occasional pigs in a blanket dinner.

Enter hot dog making video. It turns out 'they' were right all those years ago.  After watching how they make hot dogs I think I'm done.  Keep in mind this video wasn't made by anti-hotdog-ites.  This was made by the television show "How It's Made."  If you are feeling brave or if it's October and you want something scary, watch this video.


No comments:

Post a Comment