Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Bread Crumbs

I often find recipes that call for bread crumbs.  I'm sure you can buy them, but why?  When our loaves of bread get down to just the heel, or the last few pieces somehow the kids think it's time to slice a new loaf so those last, lonely slices are abandoned in the bread drawer.
I regularly gather them up and stick them in the door of my freezer.  When a recipe calls for bread crumbs I reach for those frozen slices, toss them in the food processor and voila', bread crumbs!
If I'm out of bread slices in the freezer or if there's not enough my cheater way to get seasoned crumbs is to toss some croutons into the food processor.  Not as healthy as homemade wheat bread crumbs but hey, it's what to do in a pinch and bread crumbs aren't usually a bulk ingredient.
So there's my 2 cents on bread crumbs and how to have your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment