Monday, May 14, 2012

Baked Onion Rings - YUM!

I love onion rings.  Even as a kid I loved them and would always choose them over fries.  The onion rings I love are the batter covered real onions, though I'll eat the formed ones if that's all I can get.   But they are a super occasional luxury because though they are delicious, they are usually deep fried in transfats . UGH!
But then I found these baked ones.  They are still a luxury because they are time consuming but they are oh so yummy!

This was on my chosen menu for Mother's Day this year, and we even tried breading mushrooms with this batter which were also yummy.

It's not my recipe, I haven't even tweaked it. Here's where the credit goes Post Punk Kitchen.

Baked Onion Rings
2 sweet onions
1/2 c. plus 2 Tbl flour (I used whole wheat)
2 Tbl corn starch
1 c. cold almond milk (I'm sure you could probably use regular or rice milk)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

1 c. whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp olive oil

Cut onions 3/4" wide and set aside.
Mix flour, corn starch, almond milk and cider vinegar together. Batter should be like thick pancake batter.  Sometimes I have to add a little water to make it the right consistency.
In food processor, add bread crumbs (or bread to make into crumbs) and pulse while adding salt and oil. Mix well.
Preheat oven to 450'. Place parchment on baking sheet or grease well.
Separate onion into rings. Dip into batter mixture.  With fork hold onion and tap side of bowl to remove excess batter.  When batter is covering onion but not clumping, dip into crumb mixture and coat well.  Place on baking sheet. Continue with remaining onions.
Bake at 450' for 10 minutes and then turn. Bake another 8-10 minutes or til they begin to brown.
The original recipe says once onions are on baking sheet spray with cooking spray, but I skip this step.
These aren't as crispy as deep fried onion rings but they are so much healthier that we can easily deal with a bit less crunch.
Sorry no photos, they didn't last long enough for a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment