Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lentil Tacos with Pico

I'm not a big meat eater.  I like a good Sunday roast on occasion.  Bacon is the reason I'll never be a vegetarian but other than those, I can skip most meat.
I love the flavor of taco seasoning but not the meat it goes on.  This is the perfect option for me and tonight since I had some chicken left from last nights dinner I served that on the side for those who wanted meat, though it wasn't really necessary since these were hearty and yummy even without it, only D. chose to have meat and not much at that.


Lentil Tacos with Pico

1 finely chopped onion
 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil
1 c. lentils, rinsed
1 Tb. chili poweder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
2 1/2 cups chicken broth

Cook onion and garlic in oil until translucent.  Add lentils and seasonings and cook for 1-2 minutes.  Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.  Check lentils after 35 minutes, it may take up to 45.  When done, uncover and cook til remaining water dissipates.
We cooked corn tortillas (heat griddle to 400' and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, no oil required), put the lentils on, grated cheese, shredded lettuce, fresh pico de gallo and guacamole.  They were as tacoy as any tacos we've had.  This recipe is from Stacee Sledge and was published in the Ogden Standard Examiner May 8, 2012.

Pico
1/4 onion finely chopped
2-3 Tb finely chopped cilantro
2 tomatoes finely diced
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp vinegar

Mix well.

No comments:

Post a Comment