Monday, April 23, 2012

Homemade Tamales

My mom made homemade tamales for our family reunion this year and oh my yummy! I ate more than my share and wanted to make them at home. So here is the filling recipe from my mom (this is good enough to eat alone) and a yummy masa I've worked out. Enjoy!!

• FOR THE FILLING:
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1 small green bell pepper, cored and finely chopped
• 4 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 medium ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon each paprika, cumin, and salt
• 1/4 teaspoon or less red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp pepper
• shredded beef or shredded chicken I use about 2 cups (see my post on cooking chicken to shred)

Masa Dough:
2 15 oz can hominy undrained
1 1/4 c. masa harina (you can get this at almost any grocery store in the hispanic section or by the cornmeal)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. olive oil

Saute onion, pepper, garlic and tomato with olive oil in frying pan until well cooked and kind of thick. Add seasonings and meat. Set aside

In a medium size mixing bowl measure masa harina, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.  In food processor, puree hominy with liquid until smooth. Add pureed hominy and olive oil to masa harina mixture and mix well.

I use parchment paper squares to wrap the tamales, but you can use corn husks as well. I  have precut parchment paper for my large cookie sheets.  I cut a bunch of these in half and lay 8-10 of them on the counter.  I plop masa dough (small enough to pat into a thick pancake size) then add a heaping spoonful of meat mix and roll. Maybe it's the years at Taco Time but this method words easiest for me. The corn wraps around the meat. If not, you can work it around by hand and then wrap.

Steam for 30 to 40 minutes. You can freeze extras for later. I steam them using a stainless steel colander andmy large pot. I line the colander with tamales, 
Fill a large pot about 1/3 full of water (you don't want the water to touch the tamales), place the colander into the pan, cover with a dish towel and then put a lid on the colander.   Tamales will feel slightly firm when done.  (I usually just let them go the full 40 minutes and pull them out) Gently unwrap and savor!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment