Thursday, May 30, 2019

Almost Peach Barbecue Sauce

I used fresh peaches the first time I made this because it was September in Utah, the end of the beautiful, sweet peach season.  But if it's February in North Dakota where you live, first,  I hope you are reading this beside your blazing fireplace with a cup of hot cocoa and warm, fuzzy slippers because I can't bear to think of you there any other way, and second and more to the point, I would totally use frozen peaches for this one if I didn't have fresh peaches. 

This isn't a barbecue sauce, but it's a sweet, smokey sauce we like.  I looked at the bbq bottle with 11 grams of sugar (just shy of 1 tablespoon of sugar) for a 2 tbl serving.  Eek!  Half sugar! I just couldn't do it but wanted a smokey sauce for chicken.  I haven't managed to make it without liquid smoke yet, but hey good, better, best and this is definitely better than bbq sauce on that scale.

2 lbs peaches (about 4 medium) diced and cooked down until thick and reduced by 1/3 to 1/2
1/2 tsp hickory smoked salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
6 drops liquid smoke. 

Combine ingredients to make sauce.  I drizzled over frozen chicken breasts and baked.  Called it smoked peach chicken.  Not BBQ sauce but a little sweet and a little smokey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment