Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Great Harvest Style

UPDATE 2017:  This recipe is still yummy, but I just laugh when I see how good/obsessed with low fat I used to be.  Eat healthy fats, they are good for you! This is for sure a transitioning recipe, great to move your family to a real food, low sugar diet. So yummy!  I'll have to try an alternate sweetener and see how it goes. Now back to the original post:
I got this recipe a few years ago from my friend Kim.  I've altered it to lessen fat, lessen sugar, make it whole wheat and take out eggs so now I'm calling it my own.


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

2 Tbl ground flax (also called flax meal) added to 6 Tbl boiling water  set aside (this is in place of 2 eggs)
1 c. pumpkin puree
1/3 c. oil (i used olive oil)
3/4 c. sugar (again I used demererra, but I'm going to try honey)
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chocolate chips

After flax mixture has thickened add it to pumpkin puree and stir well.  Add oil and sugar and mix.
Add all dry ingredients and chocolate chips and mix just until combined.  Do not overmix.
Turn into paper lined muffin tin and bake at 350' for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick stuck into center comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment