Monday, March 20, 2017

Peach Sweet and Sour Sauce

I've been experimenting with a peach sweetened bbq sauce (not ready for the public reveal quite yet but promising). Then I had the idea to try peach sweet and sour sauce and boom roasted, total success.
I added 1/4 c. coconut sugar to push it over the top to the level of sweetness of store bought/restaurant sweet and sour. If that's too much for you add coconut sugar to taste.

I'm posting this in March, which I realize means no one has a bowl of fresh, ripe, sweet, fragrant, juicy, dripping with goodness. (sorry, for a minute I was distracted thinking about the yummy, fabulousness of sweet peaches, but it's March so it's not that hard to do!) peaches on the counter. Good news, frozen peaches will work just fine, in fact, that's what I used. I freeze them in the fall and I still have a few bags left, but you can buy them at at the grocery store for this one and they will be great.

I added diced, cooked chicken to this sauce and served over rice. It made enough for 2 meals for our family of 3 which includes one 6'3" 16 year old, very hungry, crazy good athlete, so with added chicken it would probably feed 4 adults, twice.


Sweet and Sour Sauce


1.5 c. peaches
1 can tomato paste
1 c. water
¼ c. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp ground dried green peppers (or you can chop fresh green peppers)
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbl liquid aminos or coconut aminos (these taste like soy sauce so you could sub soy sauce here)
1  c. finely diced fresh pineapple
¼ c. coconut sugar


Add chopped, grilled chicken if desired.


Combine peaches, tomato paste and 1 c. water in a medium saucepan.  I use an immersion blender to blend, but you could also blend those ingredients together before putting them in the pan.  Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Add water to thin if desired. Add chicken.  Add pineapple right before serving.  

Yield  approx.  5 cups of sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment