Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Creamy Potato Soup No Milk

By now, if you read this blog at all, you know I"m obsessed with the idea of cream soup from cauliflower.  I've found another way to use it and my husband said, "This is really good potato soup."  And he said it twice! When I told him it was my own creation he said, 'Write this down."  So here you go.


Creamy, yet Lowfat, Potato Soup

6 cups of chicken broth (divided)
4 large red potatoes (large is relative with red potatoes, but the larger ones)
3/4 c. green beans (I used frozen)
4 carrots peeled and diced into fat slices
1/3 head of cauliflower washed and cut into pieces
1/3 c. parmesian cheese (optional, leave out for dairy free option)
Pepper to taste

In large soup pot cook potatoes and green beans in 4 cups of chicken broth until tender. In separate pot cook carrots in water until firm but tender.  Drain carrots and add to potatoes and green beans.
I like to cook the carrots separate because carrot water isn't my favorite in any soup.  If you don't mind the flavor you could probably cook them together.

In separate pan, place cauliflower and remaining 2 cups of chicken broth.  Cook until cauliflower is very tender.  Place cauliflower and cooking broth into blender.  I tried this with my hand blender and wasn't pleased with the results.  I use my blendtec but probably most blenders on high could get the mixture to a creamy texture.  Blend cauliflower and broth til smooth.  Add parmesian cheese and blend just to mix.  Pour mixture into pot of potato mixture and stir gently to combine.   Pepper to taste and let sit for 20-30 minutes to gel flavors.

This is a creamy, rich sauce that has all the flavor and none of the fat of cream soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment