Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pigs in a Blanket

Disclaimer, Update, Warning, Change of Heart to read, before you read this post.  Time teaches us things and this post was written before my newest lesson. 

Yes, I'm feeding my family hot dogs.  One thing that's been hard for them to give up is pigs in a blanket, hot dogs wrapped in bread dough.  I've been avoiding hot dogs, and recently our college age son came home from a class and said, "Did you know there are cancer causing nitrates in lunch meat and hot dogs?"  I love it! I just smiled and said, 'How much lunch meat have you seen around here lately?"

Hot dogs is not something difficult for me to give up, but even I like a good pig in a blanket.  A friend recently told me about these nitrate free turkey hot dogs.
 They still don't qualify as healthy with 9 grams of fat, but at least they aren't deadly!  With bread dough they are awfully large so I sliced one package in half lengthwise and then covered them, should have done both packages but I left eight whole dogs.
I wrap these in my regular bread dough recipe.  After the dough has risen the second time,  I open the hot dogs and dry them on a kitchen towel (just like I dry dishes)  Then I cover them with a small dinner roll size ball of dough.  I pull the dough out and smash it in my hands and then smoosh it around the hot dogs until it wraps and seals.  Place on parchment or well greased baking sheet and let rise again.

 Bake at 350 for approx 20 min, when they start to brown they are done.  These would be awesome served with homemade sauerkraut!

No comments:

Post a Comment