Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Best Beef Soup

I'm not a fan of beef stew or soup, especially mine. It's not something I've ever been good at. But I found this recipe last night and made the best stew/soup I've ever made. The recipe is mostly as I found it, just a few additions. It's a good recipe to use leftover hamburger or leftover veggies to use. The hamburger I used was actually taco flavored, leftover from Sunday dinner.

Best Beef Soup

about 1 lb ground beef
1 c. carrots
1 c. celery
1 c. onions
1 c. cabbage, cut into small pieces (optional)
4-5 mushrooms chopped (optional)
5 cups water 4 tsp beef boullion (or you could use beef broth instead of bouillon and water)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
1 can tomatoe sauce (I don't use tomato sauce because we try to stay away from cans, but I did use the equivalent of tomato powder in my soup)
1 lg. can diced tomatoes (or 1 extra cup of water and a handful of dried tomatoes)
1 c. corn (canned, frozen or fresh)
1 tsp dried basil
3 Tbl ketchup

 In large soup pan, saute onions and ground beef til well done. Add all other ingredients and simmer for an hour or two. I had to add a bit more water after simmering because lots had boiled out. This was a yummy, hearty tasting soup everyone ate without complaints.
You can see the original recipe here, thanks AK Howell.

No comments:

Post a Comment