Friday, January 27, 2012

Spicey Bean Dip - Frito Lay style


I have always loved spicy frito lay bean dip, but it seems expensive for buying beans so I NEVER buy it. A few months ago I cooked a crockpot of pinto beans and started wondering if there was a copy cat recipe out there for the frito lay dip.  Yep, sure was!  I made this for October conference but I'm not sure anyone else got to taste it but S. and our nephew, N.  The two of them sat at the counter and downed a triple batch while in between chips N. kept saying, "I've never had bean dip before. This is good."  I love it too. 


1 15 oz can of pinto beans (drained) or you can use 1 1/2 c. cooked pinto beans
4 slices jalepinos (in the jar)
1 tbl juice from jar of jalepinos
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp parika
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and mix til smooth. If it's too thick you can add water by the tablespoon.  Eat with chips, makes great burrito beans too.  I did up 8 cups of cooked beans and in less than a week they were gone and B. was telling me, "You need to make this in bigger batches."
Now to find a healthy corn chip . . . . .

UPDATE:  First, healthier corn chips can be found in the Costco organic tortilla chips, which have no GMO corn or oils used.
Second, I cook pinto beans by the crockpot full and it takes me 4  3-cup batches to make them into bean dip. Today I measured the crockpot of beans into my bosch (drained, of course) and made this batch 8 times over all at once.  Brilliant!!

Found this one at: Big Oven

No comments:

Post a Comment