Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lentil Soup

This isn't a wow soup but it's a yummy,  hearty one that I love.  I'm sure there's a mineral or vitamin in this one that my body desperately needs because I crave this and can eat it for meal after meal.This is a good one to make on a chilly, fireplace kind of day.  Mmmmm.... 



2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 cups dry lentils
8 cups water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (this is added at the end)
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
Directions
I put the whole garlic in the food processor and turn on til garlic is minced.  Then I add onions, carrots and celery and pulse till they are chopped.  Without a food processor, just chop in small pieces.
In a large soup pot, add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour. At this point I had to add more liquid (I used a couple cups of chicken broth but water should work too)Before serving, stir in vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment